Our senior advisor, Anysa Holder, talked about how nonprofit marketers are using AI this past March in Unlocking the Power of AI for Nonprofit Communications. In that post, she shared 11 ways you can use artificial intelligence as well as some pitfalls you need to be aware of.
This past month Hubspot put out The State of AI in Marketing in 2023 which expounds on some of what Anysa shared with us including:
- How AI has gained in popularity
- Why it’s time to look into using AI
- How marketers are saving time with it
- How marketing AI tools are being used
- Tips for incorporating it into your work
- Hesitations about using it
- Predictions for the future of AI
Marketers are mainly using generative AI for:
- Market Research: You can use an AI tool to tell you what the most popular nonprofits are in your area. Or find who has a similar mission. It can also list those organizations’ social media follower counts and average Google review score.
- SEO Planning and Keyword Research: AI can sift through keyword ideas, help map out keyword research for campaigns, and track website page ranks for various keywords.
- Content Creation and Scaling: While AI can create your content for you, only 5% of marketers say they use it to write entire pieces of content. And according to the report, only 4% make no edits whatsoever to AI-generated content. More often marketers are using AI to help them outline their content or brainstorm ideas.
- Repurposing Content: 21% use it to summarize larger text into key points in order to be used across different channels
- Social Media and Email: Today 31% of marketers are using AI to create social media posts and 28% use it to create and answer emails.
- Product Descriptions: AI rephrasing tools can help teams find new ways of getting the most important features of their products across.
- Performance Optimization: AI can help you analyze your existing content. That includes asking it to provide a list of your underperforming articles or those that need updating.
- Data Analysis: Use it to create quarterly reports or to gather other important data.
To use AI effectively, you should:
- Identify the areas that can be improved by using AI
- Find the right AI tools for you
- Learn how to write prompts
- See if services/platforms you already use are adding AI and use those
But remember AI has limitations:
Anysa touched on these in her post too, but here are the mains reasons marketers are hesitant about using AI:
The report shares ways to solve these issues, but you really do need to beware! And ALWAYS fact-check its work.
To find out how else artificial intelligence is changing marketing, get your full copy of The State of AI in Marketing in 2023.